Assistant Professor, Mining Engineering
- Mineral exploration vectors and genetic models: Carlin-type, porphyry and epithermal deposits
- Sulfide and sulfate mineral behavior in the heap leach and mine waste environments
- Geological controls on production, processing and reclamation
- Public policy and public participation in the mining industry
- Pedagogical innovation in STEM education
- Geochemical characterization of artisanal gold mine sites, Colombia and Peru. Funded by National Science Foundation, Co-PI, Funded PhD Positions Available with Dr. Holley – CLICK HERE
- Dating mineralization in a Carlin-type gold deposit: A test of the Fe-oxide (U-Th)/He chronometer. Funded by National Science Foundation, PI.
- Ore characterization at the Wharf Mine, South Dakota. Funded by Coeur Mining, PI.
- New exploration models for sediment-hosted gold, Nevada. Funded by Newmont Mining, PI.
- Agglomeration methods for sulfide sequestration, Cripple Creek. Funded by CC&V, Co-PI.
- Capacity Building for Ground Control. Funded by NIOSH, Co-PI.
- Exploratory research on rock damage from geologic and induced thermal loading. Funded by National Science Foundation, Co-PI.
- Corporate social responsibility and social license in mining projects. Funded by Gates Foundation, PI.
- MNGN 428/429: Mining Engineering Design
- MNGN 625: Mining Graduate Seminar
- Undergraduate geology for mining engineers
- MNGN 528: Graduate Mining Geology
Previous Courses Taught
- GEGN 403: Mineral Exploration Design
- GEOL 520: New Developments in the Geology & Exploration of Mineral Deposits
- GEOL 523: Reflected Light & Electron Microscopy
- GEOL 598: Geology & Mineral Deposits of Northern Nevada
- Colorado School of Mines
Ph.D. Geology, 2012
Emphasis: Economic geology
- University of Otago, New Zealand
M.Sc. Geochemistry, 2006
Emphasis: Geochemistry of mine wastes
- Pomona College, California
B.A. Geology, 2004
Emphasis: Metamorphic petrology
- 2012 – 2014: Teaching Assistant Professor, Department of Geology & Geological Engineering, Colorado School of Mines
- 2010 – 2012: Adjunct Faculty, Regis University
- 2009: Exploration Geologist, Ur-Energy, Littleton, Colorado
- 2007 – 2009: Project Geologist, contracting to Underworld Resources, Yukon, Canada; Queensland Minerals, Australia; Reunion Gold Corporation, Suriname
- 2004 – 2005: Science and Mathematics Instructor, Pacific View Charter School, Oceanside, California
- 2004 – 2005: Staff Geologist, Geothermal Surveys Inc., Pasadena, California
Professional Activities and Service
- 2012 – Present: Education & Training Program Coordinator, Society of Economic Geologists; organized over 50 short courses, workshops and field trips
- Member of SME, SEG, and GSA
- 2005 – 2006: Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar to New Zealand
- 2004 Watershed Management Program Exchange: Tahoe-Baikal Association
- Holley, E.A., Mitcham, C., 2012. The Pebble Mine dialogue: A preliminary analysis of an effort to integrate geoscience, market exploitation, and the public good. Participation and Scientific Culture: International Perspectives, I. Díaz García and A. Muñoz van Eynde, eds, Arbor / Los Libros de La Catarata, Madrid, Spain.
Referred Journal Articles *indicates student advisee
- *Fithian, M.T., Holley, E.A., Kelly, N.M., (accepted), Geology of the Marigold gold deposits, Battle Mountain district, Nevada, Reviews in Economic Geology: Diversity of Carlin-type deposits, J. Muntean, ed. Society of Economic Geologists, invited contribution.
- Holley, E.A., Monecke, T., Bissig, T., Reynolds, T.J., 2017. Evolution of high-level magmatic-hydrothermal systems: new insights from ore paragenesis of the Veladero high-sulfidation epithermal Au-Ag deposit, El Indio-Pascua belt, Argentina, Economic Geology, v. 112, p. 1747-1771. [DOI: 10.5382/econgeo.2017.4528]
- Holley, E.A., 2017, Engaging mining engineers in geoscience through case studies and active learning. Journal of Geoscience Education, v. 65, n. 3, p. 240-249. [DOI: 10.5408/16-145.1]
- Holley, E.A., Bissig, T., Monecke, T., 2016. The Veladero high-sulfidation epithermal gold deposit, El Indio-Pascua belt, Argentina: Geochronology of alunite and jarosite. Economic Geology, v. 111, p. 311-330. [DOI: 10.2113/econgeo.111.2.311]
- Holley, E.A., Mitcham, C., 2016. The Pebble Mine dialogue: a case study in public engagement and the social license to operate. Resources Policy, v. 47, p. 18-27. [DOI:10.1016/j.resourpol.2015.11.002]
- Holley, E.A., Craw, D., Kim, J.P., 2010. Natural and mining-related mercury in an orogenic greywacke terrane, South Island, New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Geology and Geophysics, v. 53, p. 103-114. [DOI: 10.1080/00288306.2010.498784]
- Holley, E.A., Craw, D., McQuillan, A. J., 2007. Mercury mobilization from oxidative dissolution of cinnabar and metacinnabar. Chemical Geology, v. 240, p. 313-325. [DOI:10.1016/j.chemgeo.2007.03.001]
Journal Articles Under Review *indicates student advisee
- *Nicco, M., Holley, E.A., Hartlieb, P., Kaunda, R., Nelson, P.P., in review, Comprehensive method for characterization of induced rock fractures: a case study of microwave irradiated granodiorite, Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering.
- Holley, E.A., *Ting Yu, Y., Sitchler, A., Winterton, J., in review, Geochemical and mineralogical characterization of pelletized sulfide-bearing concentrates during heap leaching, Applied Geochemistry.
Refereed Conference Abstracts *indicates student advisee
- *Huff, D., Holley, E., Guenthner, W., 2017. Evaluating the hydrothermal fluid flow history of the Marigold deposit, Nevada using (U/Th)/He thermochronology. Society of Mining, Metallurgy and Mineral Exploration conference abstracts.
- Arora, S., Kaunda, R., Holley, E., Hartlieb, P, *Nicco, M., Nelson, P., 2016. Understanding the effects of microwave irradiation on physical properties of rocks using numerical modeling. Geological Society of America abstracts.
- *Foiles, L,. Holley, E., Goldfarb, R., Zhou, W., 2016. Targeting areas of gold favorability through factor analysis of stream sediment data, Fairbanks district, east-central Alaska. Geological Society of America abstracts.
- Holley, E.A., *Fithian, M.T., Carver, J., 2016. Geology of the Marigold Deposit, Battle Mountain trend, Nevada: New Exploration Insights for Sedimentary-Rock Hosted Gold. Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration, abstracts.
- *Huff, D., Holley, E., Guenthner, W., 2016. Constraining the timing of hydrothermal fluid flow at the Marigold deposit, Nevada using (U/Th)/He thermochronology. Geological Society of America abstracts.
- *Lowe, J., Holley, E., 2016. A petrographic and geochronologic study of gold mineralization at the Lone Tree deposit, Nevada. Geological Society of America abstracts.
- *Meyer, J., Holley, E., Steele, J., 2016, Robotic mapping using LiDAR: Case study from the Edgar Experimental Mine, Idaho Springs, Colorado, Geological Society of America abstracts.
- *Meyer, J., Holley, E., Steele, J., 2016. Underground resource prospecting using a semi-autonomous, multi-instrumented robot. Space Resources Roundtable: Planetary and Terrestrial Mining Sciences Symposium, abstracts.
- *Nicco, M., Holley, E.A., Kaunda, R., Hartlieb, P., Arora, S., Nelson, P.P., 2016. A mineralogical study of rock fracture patterns under thermal loading. Geological Society of America abstracts.
- *Pedraza Rojas, J., Holley, E.A., Wendlandt, R., Pfaff, K., Rasumssen, H., 2016. Geologic characterization of the Wharf mine, South Dakota. Geological Society of America abstracts.
- Tsuruoka, S., Monecke, T., Reynolds, T.J., Holley, E., 2016. Evolution of the magmatic-hydrothermal system at the Summitville high-sulfidation epithermal Au deposit, Colorado. Geological Society of America abstracts.
- *Yu, Y.T., Holley, E.A., Sitchler, A.N., Winterburn, J., 2016. Sequestration of acid-generating mill concentrates, Cripple Creek, Colorado. Geological Society of America abstracts.
- Holley, E.A., 2015. Teaching deeper thinking through controversy: a case study from a graduate ore deposits course. National Association of Geoscience Teachers Earth Educators Rendezvous.
- Holley, E.A., Ressel, M.W., *Fithian, M.F., Carver, J., Kofoed, R., 2015. Battle Mountain revisited: Major Cretaceous and Eocene intrusion-related hydrothermal systems. Geological Society of Nevada Symposium, New Concepts and Discoveries.
- *Cervera-Acosta, J., Holley, E.A., *Gonchig, T., *Vasquez, E., *Lagrava, P., *Lowe, J., 2014. Quartz-sulfosalt relationships in high-sulfidation deposits- Goldfield Deposit, Nevada, USA: Genetic Implications. Society of Economic Geologists abstracts.
- Erickson, J., Pfaff, K., Kelly, N., Holley, E.A., Monecke, T., Lowers, H., Van Gosen, B., 2014. Rare-earth element mineralization and formation of the Iron Hill Carbonatite Complex, Gunnison County, Colorado. Society of Economic Geologists abstracts.
- *Fithian, M., Holley, E.A., 2014. Geochemical characterization of gold mineralization and alteration in sedimentary host rocks and porphyritic intrusions, Marigold deposit, Nevada. Society of Economic Geologists abstracts.
- Oseguera, O., Monecke, T., Holley, E.A., Kuiper, Y., Kelly, N., 2014. The significance of magma mingling and mixing during the formation of the volcanic host rock succesions of the Archean Horne and Quemont massive sulfide deposits, Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec. Society of Economic Geologists abstracts.
- *Skewes, W., Holley, E.A., 2014. Post-mineralization displacement of Carlin-type deposits: effects of the Northern Nevada rift. Society of Economic Geologists abstracts.
- Holley, E.A., Monecke, T., Bissig, T., 2013. Quartz paragenesis at the Veladero deposit, Argentina: New insights into lithocap alteration in the high-sulfidation epithermal environment. Society of Economic Geologists abstracts.
- Holley, E.A., Monecke, T., Bissig, T., 2012. Alunite and jarosite geochemistry and ages at the Veladero high-sulfidation epithermal Au-Ag deposit, Argentina. Society of Economic Geologists abstracts.
- Holley, E.A., Monecke, T., Bissig, T., 2012. Alunite and jarosite alteration ages at the Veladero high-sulfidation epithermal Au-Ag deposit, Argentina. 34th International Geological Congress abstracts.
- Holley, E.A., Monecke, T., Bissig, T., 2010. Ore-hosting breccias at the Veladero high-sulfidation epithermal deposit, El Indio-Pascua belt, Argentina. Society of Economic Geologists abstracts.
- Fleming, A., Paulsen, H.K., Holley, E.A., 2009. Underworld Resources’ White Gold Discovery, Yukon Territory. Abstract, AMEBC Mineral Exploration Roundup.
- Holley, E.A., Craw, D., 2007. Mercury concentration and mobility in an orogenic greywacke terrane, South Island, New Zealand. International Association of Applied Geochemists.
- Holley, E.A., Cheney, J., Ross, T., 2004. Pressure-Temperature Conditions of Metamorphism in Eclogites, Syros, Greece. Geological Society of America; Cordilleran Section.
- Morton, N., Holley, E.A, Myers A., Reinen, L., 2003. Deformation Bands and Host Rock Characteristics, San Onofre, Ca. Geological Society of America; Cordilleran Section.