Adjunct Professor, Mining Engineering
Academic Appointment and Responsibilities
- 2010 – Present: Colorado School of Mines
Department of Mining Engineering Professor of Practice
Courses taught include:
- MNGN428/429 – Mining Engineering Evaluation and Design
- MNGN460/560 – Industrial Mineral Production
- MNGN625 – Graduate Mining Seminar
- 2017-present, Professor of Practice, Nazarbayev University Partnership, College of Earth Resource Sciences and Engineering, Colorado School of Mines
- 2012-present, Director, Executive Vice and Chief Financial Officer of TUVERA Exploration Inc.
- 2014-present, Director, Gentor Resources Inc.
- 2010- 2017, Adjunct Professor, Mining Engineering Department, Colorado School of Mines
- 2006-2010, Industry Advisor, Mining Engineering Department, Colorado School of Mines
- 2005-2010, President of New Horizon Uranium Corporation
- 2000-2003, President, Basin Perlite Company,
- 2000-2003, President and CEO, Banro Corporation
- 1997-present, Director, Loncor Resources Inc.
- 1988-present, Principle, Wilson Mining Ventures (consulting firm)
- 1986-1988 Coors Ceramics Company – Director, Minerals, Power and Armor Group
- 1982-1986, President, Humphreys Mineral Industries and Vice President, Buttes Resources Inc.,
- 1981-1982, Vice President, Kaiser Canada,
- 1979-1981, Director of Business Development, Minerals Group, Kaiser Engineers
- 1965–1974, Various engineering positions; Airco Industrial Gases, Aluminum Forge Company and Aluminum Company of America (ALCOA) – Los Angeles, CA
- Qualified Person in Mining, Metallurgy and Environmental Compliance, Mining and Metallurgical Society of America, Member Number 01063QP.
- University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, Master of Business Administration with emphasis on Accounting and Marketing, 1972
- Colorado School of Mines, Metallurgical Engineer (Professional Degree), 1965
Honors and Awards
- Colorado School of Mines Alumni Association – Melville F. Coolbaugh Award, April 2014
- Colorado School of Mines Alumni Association – Outstanding Alumnus Award, April 2010
- Legion of Honor in recognition of fifty years of continuous membership in the Society of Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration
- Honorary Life Member, Colorado Mining Association in recognition of contributions to the Association, Chairman of the Board, 1998.
Service to Professional Societies & Organizations
- Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration Inc., 1963 – present
- SME Colorado Section, Board member 2010-present, Treasurer, 2010-2013, Membership Chair 2013 – present
- SME Audit Committee – 2011 – present, Chair 2017-2019
- SME Education and Professional Development Strategic Committee, term from February 2011 to February 2013
- Mining and Metallurgical Society of America, 1984 – present,
- Denver Section, Counselor, 1997-1998, member Audit Committee, 2010-2012 and Treasurer, 2013 – present
- Qualified Professional – Mining, Metallurgy/Processing and Environmental Compliance (Member no. 01063QP)
- Canadian Institute of Mining, 2004 – present (previously member from 1978-1986)
- Prospectors & Developers Association of Canada, 2000 – present
- Colorado Mining Association – 1982 – present
- Chairman of the Board, 1988; Executive Committee, 1984 – 1991
- Board of Directors, 1982-1994
- Membership Committee, Chairman 1982-1984
- Member of Wildlife Protection Subcommittee, Chairman 1994-1997
- Animas River Basin water quality task force, 1995-1998
- Member of Uranium and Hard Rock Committee, 2005-present.
- Colorado Mining Association Educational Foundation, Board of Directors, 1989 – present
- Colorado School of Mines Alumni Association, 1965 – present
- Member Student Mentoring Program, 2005 – present
Current Professional Organization Memberships (1965/2013)
- SME – Society of Mining Metallurgy and Exploration Engineering, since 1963
- MMSA – Mining and Metallurgical Society of America, since 1983
- Canadian Institute of Mining, 1978-1986, 2004-present
- Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada, 2000-present
Professional Publications, Presentations and Short Courses
- University of Colorado, Denver, Business School, lecturer in the Foundation of Commodities undergraduate and graduate course by Dr. David Hammond. Lecture was on the world-wide fertilizer industry including phosphate, potash and ammonia. Assisted Dr. Hammond for his lecture iron ore and steel. November 2017.
- Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration Inc. – Peer review of professional paper TP-17-001 “Impact of the disturbances on the phosphate mining operation cost (Sidi Chennane, Morocco)” by AYAD, Abderrahim; Faculty of Sciences and Techniques, Abdelmalek Essaadi University, Earth sciences department and BAKKALI, Saad; Faculty of sciences and techniques, Abdelmalek Essaadi University, Earth sciences department. March 31, 2017.
- OCP (Morocco Phosphate company) Mining Short Course Program, a ten-week short course taught over a twelve-month period on all aspects of mining similar to courses taught in the Colorado School of Mines (Mines) Mining Engineering and Metallurgical and Material Engineering departments and under the auspices of the school Center for Special Projects and Continuing Education (SPACE). Served as the class coordinator and tour guide in cooperation with OCP’s Training Institute. Faculty member for the Aggregates and Industrial Minerals and Feasibility Studies modules. September 2014-May 2016.
- Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration Inc. – Peer review of professional paper “Heavy-Mineral Deposits of the Fox Hills Formation Located near Limon, Colorado” by Fredic Pirkle, Gale Bishop, William Pirkle and Norman Stouffer. February 2, 2011.
- BINGO RARE EARTHS/NIOBIUM PROJECT, NORTH KIVU PROVINCE, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO, PRELIMINARY ASSESSMENT REPORT” prepared for Loncor Resources Inc. December 27, 2010.
- Carlin Trend Gold Mineralization near Jerritt Canyon in Northeastern Nevada (Investor report) for IBK Capital Corp. co-authored with Douglas C. Peters and M. Hassan Alief of ARNEVUT Resources, Inc. September 1, 2010.
- BUILDING A URANIUM EXPLORATION COMPANY FROM SCRATCH IN A VOLATILE MARKET by William R. Wilson, President & COO, New Horizon Uranium Corporation, Presented at the Society of Mining Engineers annual meeting, Salt Lake City, Utah, February 25, 2008.
- DRAFT REPORT NI 43-101, TECHNICAL REPORT ON THE SUMMIT URANIUM PROJECT, SAN MIGUEL COUNTY, COLORADO, PREPARED FOR NEW HORIZON URANIUM CORPORATION, by John W. Rozelle, P.G., Gustavson Associates LLC. Assisted in the preparation and editing of this report by Mr. Rozelle, Paul C. Jones, Mining Engineer, Bill S. Thompson, Geologist and Timothy C. MacIntyre, Geologist. May 12, 2007.
- REPORT NI 43-101, TECHNICAL REPORT ON THE SAND CREEK JOINT VENTURE, CONVERSE COUNTY, WYOMING, PREPARED FOR NEW HORIZON URANIUM CORPORATION, by John W. Rozelle, P.G., Gustavson Associates LLC. Assisted in the preparation and editing of this report by Mr. Rozelle, Paul C. Jones, Mining Engineer and Steven R. Davis, Professional Geologist and Lee Gochnour, Environmental Consultant. July 10, 2006.
- IVANIV GARNET PROJECT PRE-FEASIBILITY STUDY (Vinnytsya, Ukraine). Prepared for Europa Resources, Inc. Co-authored with Ronald C. Davis, Richard P. Ott, Walter Stunder, R. Lary Miller and Joseph Montgomery. Included assessment and use existing aggregate operations and equipment in the quarry containing the garnet deposit. February 1998.
- SOMINKI MINING CONVENTION – TECHNICAL & ECONOMIC JUSTIFICATION. Presented to the Minister of Mines, Republic of Zaire, prepared for African Mineral Resources. Prepared in coordination of the full mining convention prepared by Mitchell & Associates of Johannesburg, Republic of South Africa June 1996.
- Pre-feasibility Study for the Development of the Khakandzinskoye Gold Project, Khabarovsk Krai, the Russian Federation. Included establishing procedures for the local government to convert their reserves base to Western Hemisphere definitions and protocol. Prepared for Grynberg Resources, Inc. March 1992.
- Ten Mile Potash Project, Grand County, Utah, Final Showing and Financial Analysis. Prepared for Buttes Resources Company in feasibility study format, submitted to and approved by the Bureau of Land Management, United States Department of Interior. Co-authored with James V. Thompson and Robert Norman. July 1983.