- PhD, Mining and Earth Systems Engineering, Colorado School of Mines
- MSc, Mineral Engineering, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
- Diploma of Mining Engineering, Technical University of Mining, Ostrava, Czech Republic
Academic Appointment and Responsibilities
May 2002-Present Colorado School of Mines, Mining Engineering Department
Research Associate Professor and Technical Director of AXPRO Group
Development of a new research projects for Mining Engineering Department utilizing new technologies for explosives engineering. Current research activities are explosive bonding, explosive boiler tube cleaning, design of advanced material by shock synthesis, blast mitigation and blast protection for structures, development of advanced materials for ballistic applications, validation of space impact modeling and other projects are being performed for NASA, AFRL, EPRI, DHS, and a number of private industries, including mining companies.
- MNGN333 – Explosive Engineering I
- MNGN407 – Rock Fragmentation
- MNGN444 – Explosives Engineering II
- MNGN 498 – Advance Rock Fragmentation
- Field Session – Surveying for surface and underground mining
- 2008-2009: Air Force Research Laboratory, Structure Protection Branch, Tyndale, Florida
Senior research engineer (Consultant)
Work with new technologies and development advance new materials structures for blast and ballistic resistant.
- 2005-2006: Colorado Department of Employment, Division of Oil and Public SafetyState Inspector (Part-time)
Accountable for training field inspector; Developing new regulations for explosive handling, storage and use; Investigation of criminal charges and removal of explosive permits from explosive users at the Colorado School of Mines; Developing new training program with ATF.
- June-August 1998: Yenter Companies, Inc., Golden, Colorado
- May – August 1997: The Ensign-Bickford Company, Simsbury, Connecticut
- May-August 1996: Waste Isolation Pilot Plant, Westinghouse Electric Corporation, Carlsbad, New Mexico
- June-July 1995: DICAPERL, Socorro, New Mexico
- 1992: Velkolom Maxim Gorky Bilina, Bilina, Czech Republic
Assistant Mine manager – Open pit mine (coal mine)
- 1991- 1992: Severoceske Keramicke Zavody, Most, Czech Republic
- 1986: Severoceske Keramicke Zavody Most, Lahost-Jenikov, Czech Republic
Foreman – (Largest Czech National Ceramic Company)
- 1985 – 1986: Banske Projecty of Teplice, Teplice, Czech Republic
- Federal Explosive Permit ATF
- Explosive permit for State of Colorado, USA
Current Professional Organization Memberships (1995 – Present)
- Member, ISEE
Professional Publications, Presentations, and Short-Courses
- Co-Author, 1995, “Geotechnical Analysis Report for July 1993-June 1994”, Waste Isolation Pilot Plant, National Technical Information service, U.S. Department of Commerce, DOE/WIPP-95-2100
- V. Petr, G.W. Mustoe, M. Nakgawa and T.G. Rozgonyi , 2000,” A Numerical and Experimental study of static and Dynamic behavior in cemented Elastic Disks” Proceedings of 26 th Annual Conference on Explosives and Blasting Technique, Anaheim, California, Volume 2, pp:225-234
- V. Petr, G.W. Mustoe, K.J. Orgeron, T.G. Rozgonyi, 2002, “ Experimental and Numerical Studies of Transient Shock Wave Propagation in a Geomedium” Annual Conference on Explosive and Blasting Technique, Las Vegas, Nevada USA.
- V. Petr, M.G. Simoes, T. G. Rozgonyi, 2003, “ Future Development of Neural Network Prediction for Blast Design Parameters of Production Blasting”
EFEE 2 nd World Conference on Explosives and Blasting, September 2003
- V. Petr, 2005,” Prediction of the Damaged Zone for Underground Support Around Underground Opening Formed by Blasting”, Third EFEE World Conference on Explosives and Blasting, Brighton, UK
- V. Petr, S. Liu, and J. Banker, “Explosive Bonding Research: Characterization of Explosives and Materials in Dissimilar Metal Joints”, presented and published in the Proceedings of the Trends in Welding Research Conference, pp., Pine Mountain, Georgia, June 2008, published in August 2009.
- B. Hansford, S. Liu, E. Vidal, and J. Banker, “Ignition of Titanium Cladded Steel in Pressure Oxidation Leaching Autoclaves”, presented and published in the Proceedings of the Materials Science &Technology 2008 Conference – Failure Analysis for Problem Solving Symposium, pp. 610-621, ISBN-13:978-0-87170-723-9, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, October 5-9, 2008.
- S. Liu, J.C. Madeni, D.L. Olson, V. Petr, R. Hellner, and K. Coleman, “Evolution of Carbide Precipitates in Cr-Mo Steels in the Power Industry: Morphology and Stability, and Characterization Techniques” , Proceedings of the 2008 International Steel Technologies Symposium: Innovative and Green Production – Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Keynote Paper D21, Welding and Heat Treating Group, November 2-5, 2008.
- S. Liu, J.C. Madeni, D.L. Olson, R. Hellner, V. Petr and K. Coleman, “Evolution of Carbide Precipitates in Cr-Mo Steels: Morphology, Characterization and Remaining Life Prediction,” accepted for presentation and publication in the Proceedings of the International Conference WELDS 2009 and Journal of High Temperature Materials, Fort Myers, Florida June 24–26, 2009.
- C. Hurley, V. Petr, S. Liu, and J. Banker, “Properties of Alternatively Fueled Ammonium Nitrate Explosives”, accepted for presentation and publication in the proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Rock Fragmentation by Blasting – FRAGBLAST9, Granada, Spain, September 13-17, 2009
Research and Related Activities
- Developing and running new Explosive Research Laboratory ERL) at Idaho Springs, Colorado
- Explosives welding and bounding dissimilar materials
- Henderson Mine, numerical modeling project for developing new mining method for sublevel caving
- NASA – Deep Impact on Asteroid Project