CSM Mining grads are all over the place!
Mining took place in underground tunnels and shafts until 1951 when it was determined by Harrison Lavender, the then-manager of the Copper Queen Branch of Phelps Dodge, that an open pit mine would be an economical way to increase ore yield. The Lavender mine was named in honor of Harrison M. Lavender (1890–1952), who as Vice-President and General Manager of Phelps Dodge Corporation, conceived and carried out the plan for making the previously unprofitable low-grade copper bearing rock of the area into commercial copper ore. It took a few years of preparation before any ore could be mined. Harrison graduated from Mines in 1916.