Dr. Mark Kuchta
Office Phone: (303) 273-3306, Office:BB 212, @:email@example.com
Academic Appointment & Responsibilities
1999 – Present: Colorado School of Mines, Department of Mining Engineering
Responsibilities include the education, mentoring, and professional development of undergraduate and graduate students, the pursuit of research activities and performing service contributions both internal and external to CSM.
Courses taught include:
- MNGN518 - Advanced Bulk Underground Mining Techniques (new course developed)
- MNGN516 -Advanced Underground Mine Design
- MNGN515 - Advanced Mine Mechanization and Automation (new course developed)
- MNGN599 - Blasting Principles for Open Pit Mining (special topic)
- MNGN599 - Advanced Gravity Flow of Broken Rock (special topic)
- MNGN499 - Shotcrete as Ground Support (special topic)
- MNGN499 - Gravity Flow of Broken Rock (special topic)
- MNGN317 - Dynamics for Mining Engineers
- MNGN314 - Underground Mine Design
- MNGN316 - Underground Coal Mining Methods
- MNGN210 - Introductory Mining
- DCGN241 - Engineering Mechanics - Statics (department coordinator spring 2001)
Ph. D. supervisions completed
Hugh Kendrick, May 2004 , A Production Well Completion and Formation Stimulation Technology Evaluation for Multiple Seam Coal bed Methane Prospect in the Powder River Basin of Wyoming, T-5931.
Erkan Topal, May 2003 , Advanced Underground Mine Scheduling Using Mixed Integer Programming, T-5733
M. Sc. supervisions completed
Anita Lith, May 2004 , Prediction of Fragmentation for Ring Blasting in Sublevel Caving, T-5867
Recently Completed Research
- Waterjet Scaling for Reducing Scaling Injuries in Underground Mining, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), August 1, 2005 through July 31, 2008.
- Development of A Conceptual Design and A Science and Engineering Program for DUSEL at the Henderson Mine, September 23, 2005 through June 23, 2006. Total award to Henderson Underground Science and Engineering Project (HUSEP). Serve as co-Principal Investigator for the CSM portion of the project
- Development of a mixed Integer Scheduling Model for Short-term Production Planning at LKAB’s Kiruna Mine, May 2004 – August 2004
- The uses of high-pressure water jet scaling in underground mining, September 2003 to August 2004.
- Advanced production scheduling, LKAB, June 2003 to August 2003
- The uses of high-pressure water jet scaling in underground mining, September 2002 to August 2003.
- Strategic planning for a two-product mine, LKAB, June 2002 to August 2002
- The uses of high-pressure water jet scaling in underground mining, September 2001 to August 2002.
- Strategic mine planning for LKAB’s Kiruna mine, Jan 2001 to August 2001
- The uses of high-pressure water jet scaling in underground mining, September 2000 to August 2001.
- Predicting run-of-mine iron ore grades for LKAB’s Kiruna sublevel caving operation, May 2000 to August 2000.
- The uses of high-pressure water jet scaling in underground mining, September 1999 to August 2000.
11/1996 – 7/1999 LKAB, Kiruna, Sweden
Senior Mining Engineer, Mine Planning Department
6/1990 – 10/1996 LKAB, Malmberget, Sweden
Department of Research and Development
Luleå University of Technology, Luleå, Sweden
Ph.D. Mining Engineering, 1990.
Doctoral thesis titled "Improved Mine Planning Through the use of Geostatistics and Fractal Geometry for Geologic Modeling".
Colorado School of Mines, Golden Colorado
M.Sc. Mining Engineering, 1986.
Received Master of Science Degree in Mining Engineering May 1986, masters thesis entitled Conceptual Mine Planning With Interactive Computer Graphics.
B.Sc. Mining Engineering, December 1983.
Honors and Awards
Elected the Outstanding Faculty Member in the Department of Mining Engineering, Colorado School of Mines by the Greek honor society the Order of Omega, February 2003
Received the CSM Alumni Association's Faculty Award for outstanding faculty member for the Mining Engineering Department, May 2005
Professional Publications, Presentations & Short-courses
Open Pit Mine Planning and Design , W. Hustrulid, M. Kuchta, 1995, A.A. Balkama, Rotterdam
Open Pit Mine Planning and Design, Second Edition , W. Hustrulid, M.
Kuchta, 2006, A.A. Balkama, Rotterdam
“Using Aggregation to Optimize Long-term Production Planning at an Underground Mine”, Newman, A., and Kuchta, M. European Journal of Operational Research, Approved for publication, October,2005
The Importance of Rock Surface Preparation in Shotcreting Operations”, Kuchta, M., Hustrulid, W., and Lorig, L., in Surface Support in Mining , Potvin, Y., Stacey, D., and Hadjigeorgiou, J., editors, Australian Centre for Geomechanics, September, 2004, pp 283-290
“ The Development and Implementation of a Mixed Integer Programming Model for Production Scheduling at the Kiruna Mine”, Kuchta, M., MassMin 2004, Karzulovic, A., Alfaro, M., editors, Instituto de Ingenieros de Chile, August 2004, pp 441-445
“Implementing a Production Schedule at LKAB’s Kiruna Mine”, Kuchta, M., Newman, A., and Topal, E., Interfaces, Vol. 34, no 2, March-April 2004, pp 124-134
“Long Term Production Scheduling at LKAB’s Kiruna Mine” , Kuchta, M., Newman, A., and Topal, E., Mining Engineering, The Society of Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration, Inc., Vol. 55, No. 4, April 2003, pp 35-40
“The Area Between a One-dimensional Ordinary Brownian Curve and a Straight-line Approximation”, Kuchta, M., Mathematical Geology, Vol.34, No. 6, August 2002, pp 631-645
“Quantifying the Increase in Adhesion Strength of Shotcrete Applied to Surfaces Treated with High-pressure Water” , Kuchta, M., Transactions of the Society for Mining, Metallurgy, And Exploration, Inc., Vol. 312, 2002, pp 129-132
“Predicting Run-of-Mine Ore Grades for Large-Scale Sub-Level Caving at LKAB’s Kiruna Mine, Transactions of the Society for Mining, Metallurgy, And Exploration, Inc. , Vol. 312, 2002, pp 74-80
“A Revised Form of the Bergmark-Roos Equation for Describing the Gravity Flow of Broken Rock”, Kuchta, M., Mineral Resources Engineering Vol. 11, No. 4. December 2002, pp 349-360
“Linear Programming Model Applied to Scheduling of Iron Ore Production at the Kiruna Mine, Kiruna Sweden”, K. Dagdelen, M. Kuchta, E. Topal, Transactions of the Society for Mining, Metallurgy, And Exploration, Inc. , Vol. 312, 2002, pp 194-198